Happy Friday and Happy July (aka Harry Potter month)! Does anyone else get all weirdly excited and happy thinking about how July has become the unofficial month for all thing HP? July always makes me want to re-read the series and watch all the movies and go to all the cool Barnes & Noble HP-themed events. And this month is extra special because of The Cursed Child release! Fun time all around, basically!
To keep the HP celebrations going, today I’ll be posting my ranking of the book and movies from least favorite to favorite. Ranking the movies has always been pretty easy for me, but ranking the books is nearly impossible, so we’ll see how this goes…
– B O O K S –
7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – I know, it’s the book that started it all, so how can it be last, right? Well…they just kept getting better. I love SS, but this is just where I had to put it.
6. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – Again, I have no issues with this book (or any, for that matter), but it isn’t as epic or intense as the ones that follow it. Though it’s a step above SS simply because we’re past all the introductory stuff.
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – Book four is fantastic, and ranking these is proving terribly difficult because it turns out I don’t want any of them to be above the others. *sigh*
4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – This is where it really gets hard for me. It pains me to have to rank the rest of the books remaining. I’d probably just consider the next few books tied for second, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, OotP is here because of Grawp scenes. See, I’m really having to look at the details here to help me.
3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – Ugh, so much happens in HBP that contributes to why I love it so much. It’s hilarious, dark, revealing, and the perfect set-up for the final book.
2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – I love the Marauders. I love Sirius Black. Case closed.
1. Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows – How could this not be my number one, though? Deathly Hallows is, in my eyes, a total masterpiece. Perfection. Flawless. My everything.
– M O V I E S –
Now that the torture of ranking the books is over…
8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – I literally can’t say enough about how much I despise this movie as an adaptation. Just…yikes! So bad.
7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – Again, I mostly hate everything about this one. Not quite as bad as HBP, but pretty close. Just so much wrong.
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – This movies probably got the most things right, but I still hardly ever find myself watching it. It’s just there.
5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – I used to watch CoS eeeeveryyyday when I was younger. I was obsessed. Which is why it’s above the previous four, but not great enough to beat the next few.
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – So many people have this movie ranked last or close to last, but I personally love it! The only thing I hate is the haircuts haha. But I think it’s a great movie overall.
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. l – DH Pt. 1 is a cinematic beauty. It’s slower than Part 2, but just as touching. It’s character-focused and lovely.
2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – Once again, I love Sirius Black. I also loooove what Alfanso did to this adaptation. PoA is so different from the other movies, and I LOVE it.
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. ll – I have no words, really. I could watch this movie a million times over and not be sick of it. Sure, they got some things wrong, but I still think this was the perfect ending to a wonderful series of films. And it never fails to make me cry.
– – –
I didn’t give longer explanations or this post would be waayyy to long, but there you have it. Let me know how you rank the books and movies – I love discussing reasons for peoples’ rankings.
Until next time,